3nd Annual Kernville Fall Festival Chili Cook-Off!
Sunday, October 28th during the Kernville Fall Festival!
Homestyle Chili is defined as the cook's favorite combination of ingredients resulting in a dish seasoned with chili peppers and spices.
Chili Cook-Off Rules and Regulations
1. Contestants must be 18 years and older. There is a $10 Entry Fee per contestant. Fee to be paid before on during check-in. You can compete alone or in a team.
2. No ingredient may be pre-cooked in any way prior to the commencement of the official cook-off. The only exceptions are canned or bottled tomatoes, tomato sauce, peppers, pepper sauce, beverages, broth, and grinding and/or mixing of spices. Meat may be treated, pre-cut or ground. MEAT MAY NOT BE PRE-COOKED, in any manner. All other ingredients must be chopped or prepared during the preparation period.
3. The cooking period will be a minimum of 3 hours and a maximum of 4 hours. The Cook-off time starts on Sunday at 11AM. Cooking during the entire cooking period is at the sole discretion of the contestant. Booth set up time is at 9AM in Riverside Park, Kernville. You are allowed a 10X10 space. Check-in will be at the Information Booth in Riverside Park.
4. Contestants are responsible for supplying all of their own cooking materials and utensils, etc. Propane powered stoves are allowed. Electricity will be available for electric cooking.
5. Each contestant must cook a minimum of 4 quarts of competition chili prepared in one pot which will be submitted for judging.
6. Each contestant will be assigned a contestant number and given an official 16 oz. judging cup. Each contestant should verify that the number on the bottom of their cup is the same as their assigned contestant number. Each contestant is responsible to deliver their cup, which must be filled to the bottom of the cup’s rim, to the judging area at the official time for judging.
7. Judges will be told that they should vote for the chili based on the following major considerations: good chili flavor, the texture of the meat, consistency, blend of spices, aroma, and color.
8. Prizes for Best Overall Chili ($100) and People’s Choice Chili will be awarded.